Re: UPS again

William R. Ward wrote:

> In article <[🔎] Pine.SUN.3.91.980206161946.24707H-100000@lookdown>, " Raymond A. Ingles" <inglesra@frc.com> writes:
> > On 5 Feb 1998, William R Ward wrote:
> >> Like a dummy, I bought a UPS without bothering to check if genpowerd
> >> supports it (I don't think it does).  But before taking it back (I
> >> believe I have a week to do so and it's real stormy now, so I'm glad
> >> to have it anyway), I wanted to ask if anyone knew if I could do
> >> anything with it.
> >>
> >> I bought a MinuteMan 280 Pro UPS.  It looks like it has "smart"
> >> features but does not come with a cable or software.  It is made by
> >> Para Systems.  Is there any Linux software that'll talk to this beast?
>
> >  The UPS-HOWTO has a lot of info about using a UPS under Linux. I'd check
> > there before returning it. I know that genpowerd is pretty flexible and
> > can be configured to support almost any UPS.
>
> The UPS-HOWTO does not mention my brand.  I even did a web search and
> found nothing, Linux or otherwise, about my UPS.

You might try doing this the hard way - turn off and unplug your
UPS, get a plug that fits its "control" plug and wire a bundle of
wires keeping track of which wire goes to which pin, use a meter
in ohmmeter mode to find the ground wire(s), bundle those, connect
them to the meter ground probe, switch the meter to volts mode,
plug in the UPS and note levels on other wires, allow UPS battery
to charge, unplu UPS and note levels on each wire, monitor levels
on each wire while battery discharges, get a plug to fit one of
your free serial ports, wire the ground wire(s) from the UPS plug
to the serial port ground wires, wire the appropriate signal wires
from the UPS to the RTS, CTS, etc. lines of the serial port plug,
write your own C or perl or tclsh/tk or ... program to do what
you want, debianize the resultant package, use your imagination ...

HTH, lots of Luck, e-mail if you get stuck.

> --Bill.
>
> --
> William R Ward          Bay View Consulting   http://www.bayview.com/~hermit/
> hermit@bayview.com     1803 Mission St. #339        voicemail +1 408/479-4072