Re: procmail and folders

On Mon, 2 Feb 1998, Richard Kilgore wrote:

> On Mon, Feb 02, 1998 at 05:13:36PM +0200, Catalin Popescu wrote:
> > Thank you to everybody answering my question on procmail and smail. I've
> > put the files .forward and .procmailrc, modified the USERNAME to my
> > usernaname (ie cpopescu), but it still does not work. Do I have to create
> > the files where procmail is supposed to save the incoming messages? Is
> > there something wrong with permissions?
>
> Don't know if you're interested in this input, but if you use
> sendmail instead of smail, it can just automatically use procmail
> to deliver mail.  Thus, you don't need a .forward file at all.
> You just have to make sure that procmail is installed and deliver
> is not when you install sendmail.  Then sendmail will configure
> itself to use procmail for all local mail delivery.

You can do the same with smail, using some changes to
/etc/smail/transports.

This is what I used to have (I think it was created by smailconfig):

       append_as_user, check_user, file=/var/spool/mail/${lc:strip:user},
       group=mail, mode=0660, notify_comsat, suffix="\n"

Change the above to this:

        user=root, cmd="/usr/bin/procmail -f- -d $($user$)"

Now all locally delivered mail will be handled by procmail. Mail for users
that don't have a .procmailrc will go into /var/spool/mail/<username>,
just like it should. You don't need a .forward with this setup.

Remco