Out of ideas with ppp

Hi,

I've been trying to get PPP to work by following the PPP How-To. I
called my ISP and got the required info. When I asked about PAP they
didn't seem to know what I was talking about. So, I assume they don't
use PAP.

I have an external Zoom K56 flex modem connected to ttyS1 and it seems
to work. I called the UNIX box at my college and connected, checked
e-mail etc. using minicom. And seeing that the modem was working I went
on to tackle PPP...

I call up my ISP using minicom and get:

Connect NAS45ATL-N line 3
User Access Verification
Username:
Password:

I enter the required info. and get:

Entering PPP mode
Async interface address is unnumbered(Ethernet 0)
Your IP address (dynamically assigned so different each time) MTU is
1500 bytes

I then get the garbage talked about in the How-To. I exit minicom ^-A Q
and type in:

pppd -d -detach /dev/ttyS1 38400 &    like the How-To says to.   I then
type ifconfig and get:

lo      Link encap: Local Loopback
        inet addr:127.0.0.1  Bcast:127.255.255.255 Mask 255.0.0.0
        UP BROADCAST LOOPBACK RUNNING MTU:3584  Metric:1
        RX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0
        TX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0

In the messages file I see:

CSLIP: code copyright...
PPP: version 2.2.0 (dynamic channel allocation)
PPP: Dynamic channel copyright notice...
PPP line discipline registered.
registered device ppp0
pppd 2.2.0 started by root, uid 0
Using interface ppp0
Connect: ppp0 <--> /dev/ttyS1
LCP: timeout sending Config-Requests
Connection terminated.
Exit.

In the ppp.log file I see:

pppd 2.2.0 started by root, uid 0
Using interface ppp0
Connect: ppp0 <--> /dev/ttyS1

{ Then a whole bunch of sent and rcvd LCP "pairs"}
{ Then a whole bunch of 1 sent 2 rcvd tripples}

LCP: timeout sending Config-Requests
Connection terminated.
Exit.

I added lcp-max-configure 30 to my ppp options file. Before I did that
the connection would terminate in a hurry. Now it at least stays
connected for a few seconds, not that does any good...

So, anyone got any ideas. I'm at a loss as what do do now.

BTW- I have kernal 2.0.29

Thanks,
Jeff...