X locking up

To All X users,

I am a new user of Debian Linux and installed version 1.3 with Xfree86.  I
run through the XF86Config and it sets all of the hardware settings, and
then previews what the Xwindow will look like before saving the config
file.  When I run using startx, xinit, or xdm, I get an error 111, can not
find fonts, and "giving up" message or it will completely lock up the
system, blinking the screen several times.

My config:
Matrox Millinium 2mb
Intel P166
80 MB Ram
Win 95 (Original ) on the 1st 1/2 of the HD
Illayma Vision Master Pro 17 Monitor

Any suggestons?  I've re-installed the OS 2X, and re-installed X 2X using
Dselect.

Scott Ball

James Scott Ball                       Office:    (419) 372-9968
Captain, U.S. Army                     Secretary: (419) 372-2476
Assistant Professor, Military Science  Fax:       (419) 372-0133
Bowling Green State University         E-Mail:jsball@bgnet.bgsu.edu
Bowling Green, OH 43403-0273