Re: Installation Problems - modem not responding, large dos files=>floppy=>linux

Jeff Bisping <kraft-tec@execpc.com> writes:

> 	But modem doesn't dial the phone, never get any OK. Had problems with
> /dev/cua1 not existing but did 'mkmod -m 666 /dev/cua1 c 5 64' to take
> care of that( don't know if right). Modem is on COM2. I have minicom
> installed but just does the box and times out.

The cuaX devices are outdated. You don't need them, so debian doesn't create
them.

You can use "pon" to cennect and "poff" to disconnect on debian. These
commands use two config files: /etc/ppp.chatscript and /etc/ppp.options_out

Check, that ppp.options_out uses the ttyS1 device. Also add "debug" to this
line. the debug output goes to /var/log/ppp.log.

Then edit ppp.chatscript to match the lines you get at dialin.

Try this and refer back if you have trouble. Give us the lines from
/var/log/ppp.log then. Hmm, this could get difficult if you can't access a
dos drive to save it to.

Do

mount -t msdos /dev/fd0 /floppy
cp /var/log/ppp.log /floppy
umount /floppy

to save the file on a floppy.

> My UNIX is very weak so I am hacking through this the best I can.

Come on, you created a device using a command I would have to look up deep
in the docs (well, I would have done cd /dev ; ./MAKEDEV cua1 ). I also
never used dip, so you definitly used two commands I know nil about. And all
this with just the base system installed. Pretty cool.

Ciao,
	Martin