Installation Problems - modem not responding, large dos files=>floppy=>linux

I have install debian base off floppies. Everything ok but now trying
to finishing the installation by connecting out to ISP to get FTP to
finish installing packages.
	But modem doesn't dial the phone, never get any OK. Had problems with
/dev/cua1 not existing but did 'mkmod -m 666 /dev/cua1 c 5 64' to take
care of that( don't know if right). Modem is on COM2. I have minicom
installed but just does the box and times out.
	I could get dip to off hook the modem but that was only after timing
out on a wait in a dip script.

	My other variation is downloading packages from msdos-i386 to DOS
floppies. What about the large files? How do I break up the files in DOS
to put onto floppy to install on the Linux system?

	I trying 2 routes to finish installation.

	My UNIX is very weak so I am hacking through this the best I can.

		Jeff Bisping
		Kraf-Tec, Inc.