Re: New Smail, how to use offline?

On 23 Jan 1998, Martin Bialasinski wrote:

> So despite turning of this feature, smail *does* check the DNS. I'll have
> another look at this and will probably file a bugreport.

Yes, please do. Do so on my behalf as well. I'm behind a firewall
and without external DNS, so smail won't accept anymore what fetchmail
gets from the pophost.

I fixed this by downgrading to an older version of smail which I still
happened to have. Maybe some wizardry with procmail as mda would have
worked. Or moving to sendmail (at least you can tell that one to not do
lookups.)

I'm afraid the maintainer can't do very much about this either. Still,
I find this a major bug. It will suddenly break many other people's
setup when they upgrade to hamm. If this cannot be resolved before hamm
gets released, it will be a choice between fully connected smail sites
abused by spammers or poorly connected sites unable to receive mail.

> BTW: which package has libpcap ? This one is missing in tcpdump's "Depends:"
> line. Another bugreport I guess.

This is from my /var/lib/dpkg/available (I'm running hamm):

Package: libpcap0
Filename: dists/unstable/main/binary-i386/libs/libpcap0_0.4a2-2.deb

Package: tcpdump
Depends: libc6, libpcap0 (>= 0.4-1)
Filename: dists/unstable/main/binary-i386/net/tcpdump_3.4a4-1.deb

Cheers,

Joost