Re: Off-line newsreader

On Fri, Jan 23, 1998 at 09:54:37PM +0500, Ian & Gill Watkins wrote:

You might want to try slrn/slrnpull

bo/binary/news/slrn_0.9.3.2-2.deb

slrnpull has a very simple config file and will download only the groups
you want for reading offline with slrn.

I'm not sure if it's possible to just download headers though.

If you use this method though make sure you start slrn with "slrn --spool"

This very small /var/spool/slrnpull/slrnpull.conf file sets a default of
0 maxmessages which means no limit and an expiry time of 1 day

expire the messages with the command "slrnpull --expire" and grab news
simply by using "slrnpull".

default				0	1
aus.computers.linux		0
comp.os.linux.misc		0
comp.unix.shell			0
news.software.readers		0

my $HOME/.slrnrc file is
%set server_object "spool"
set spool_inn_root          "/var/spool/slrnpull"
set spool_root              "/var/spool/slrnpull/news"
set spool_nov_root          "/var/spool/slrnpull/news"
set read_active             1
set use_slrnpull            1
hostname                    "lynx.net.au"
username                    "jspence"