Re: New Smail, how to use offline? *BIG WARNING*

Martin Bialasinski <martin@internet-treff.uni-koeln.de> writes:

> I noticed that fetchmail got slow, but I didn't associate this with smail.
> But xconsole shows, that during fetchmail my local caching only nameserver
> learns hostnames.
>
> So despite turning of this feature, smail *does* check the DNS. I'll have
> another look at this and will probably file a bugreport.

I just had another fetchmailrun, this time using the -v option:

reading message 2 of 3 (3647 bytes)
fetchmail: forwarding to SMTP port on localhost
fetchmail: SMTP> MAIL FROM:<dtm12@jhunix.hcf.jhu.edu> SIZE=3647
fetchmail: SMTP< 250 dtm12@jhunix.hcf.jhu.edu ... Sender Okay

here it checks the sender despite of turning this feature of

fetchmail: SMTP> RCPT TO:<martinb@localhost>
fetchmail: SMTP< 250 '<martinb@localhost>' <martinb@(nodomain)> Recipient Okay.
fetchmail: SMTP> DATA
fetchmail: SMTP< 354 Enter mail, end with "." on a line by itself
#*****************.*******************fetchmail: SMTP>. (EOM)
fetchmail: SMTP< 250 Mail accepted
 flushed
fetchmail: POP3> DELE 2
fetchmail: POP3< +OK Message 2 has been deleted.
fetchmail: POP3> RETR 3
fetchmail: POP3< +OK 2564 octets
reading message 3 of 3 (2564 bytes)
fetchmail: forwarding to SMTP port on localhost
fetchmail: SMTP> MAIL FROM:<jim@pcks.com> BODY=7BIT SIZE=2564
fetchmail: SMTP< 550 '<jim@pcks.com>BODY=7BIT SIZE=2564' sender address target 'pcks.com' is not a valid e-mail domain.
fetchmail: SMTP error: 550 '<jim@pcks.com>BODY=7BIT SIZE=2564' sender address target 'pcks.com' is not a valid e-mail domain.
 flushed

now it checks the emailaddress and rejects this one. AND IT THROWS THE MAIL
AWAY ! (Sorry for shouting). OK, this is a feature, but I didn't activate
it.

fetchmail: POP3> DELE 3
fetchmail: POP3< +OK Message 3 has been deleted.

fetchmail doesn't care, what smail did with the mail (correct behaviour) and
deletes it from my ISP. *AARRGH*

Time to revert to smail from bo and do further tests on a spare machine.

Ciao,
	Martin