Re: Modules and Debian

John Spence <jspence@lynx.net.au> writes:
JS> Here's what I think I understand so far.
JS>
JS> /etc/init.d/modutils
JS> ====================
JS> says it "loads the appropriate modules in 'boot'". I suppose this
JS> means /etc/init.d/boot which seems to load modules in
JS> /etc/init.d/modutils.  Which one is doing what?  I think this
JS> couple of files are for the loading of modules needed before
JS> kerneld? Like modules to mount file-systems in fstab ?

Will, /etc/init.d/boot disappeared from hamm a while ago.  I'm not
sure _what_ this comment means.  But this script does four things:

-- Check that modules exist.
-- If the modules exist but there's no dependency file (i.e. new
   kernel), build the dependency file.
-- Load the modules listed in /etc/modules.
-- Load any modules symlinked into /lib/modules/boot.

The other script worth (briefly) staring at is /etc/init.d/kerneld,
which starts kerneld if it hasn't already been started.  These two
scripts take care of everything dealing with boot-time module
configuration.

JS> /etc/modules
JS> ============
JS> I like this one. Nice and uncomplicated (spot the non-shell
JS> programmer)
JS>
JS> Contains the comment # /etc/modules: kernel modules to load at
JS> boot time.  (I thought that was what the previously mentioned file
JS> did)

/etc/init.d/modutils actually loads the modules listed here.

JS> I have "auto" commented out in this file so this means: kerneld
JS> will load these modules as I need them?

Right; but kerneld gets started after sysklogd and watchdog.  Look in
/etc/rc2.d to see what the order of these things is.  kerneld will
_always_ get started unless you have "noauto" in /etc/modules.

JS> If I had "auto" uncommented it would mean: kerneld would load them
JS> all at boot time (but not in time for things like file-systems in
JS> fstab) ?

It would start kerneld before running any of the scripts linked to
/etc/rc2.d.  For me, this is important because I need to be able to
load modules before starting either syslogd (unix) or watchdog
(softdog).  I could also load these modules by putting entries in
/etc/modules and letting kerneld start later.

At system start time, things happen in the order listed in
/etc/rcS.d.  So modutils happens before mountall, and loading kerneld
here (as opposed to later, in /etc/rc2.d/S12kerneld) would let you
dynamically load modules for filesystems you need to mount things.

JS> /etc/conf.modules
JS> Contains only aliases for modules and options to load them?
JS>
JS> I added an option line in this file specifying my net card settings to
JS> prevent auto-probing at boot.

Yup.  Absolutely correct.

Good luck...

--
/                             \  "The cat's been in the box for over