Re: Modules and Debian

On Thu, 22 Jan 1998, John Spence wrote:

> /etc/init.d/modules (which is a symlink to /etc/init.d/modutils)

The package to manage kernel modules used to be called modules.  It was
renamed upstream to modutils and we followed the naming convention.  The
modules symlink is to make sure that incompletely upgraded systems don't
break.

> /etc/init.d/modutils
> ====================
> says it "loads the appropriate modules in 'boot'". I
> suppose this means /etc/init.d/boot which seems to load modules in
> /etc/init.d/modutils.  Which one is doing what?  I think this couple of
> files are for the loading of modules needed before kerneld? Like modules
> to mount file-systems in fstab ?

Close.  /etc/init.d/boot runs /etc/init.d/modutils to actually perform the
work of loading up the modules needed at boot time.

> /etc/modules
> ============
> I like this one. Nice and uncomplicated (spot the non-shell programmer)
>
> Contains the comment  # /etc/modules: kernel modules to load at boot time.
> (I thought that was what the previously mentioned file did)
>
> I have "auto" commented out in this file so this means: kerneld will load
> these modules as I need them?
>
> If I had "auto" uncommented it would mean: kerneld would load them all at
> boot time (but not in time for things like file-systems in fstab) ?

If you uncomment auto, kerneld (which autoloads and unloads modules
according to need) is started at the beginning of the boot sequence.  If
it is commented out, kerneld loads closer to the end of the boot sequence.
The other lines list modules that should be loaded manually at the
beginning of the boot sequence and which won't be automagically unloaded
later.

> /etc/conf.modules
> Contains only aliases for modules and options to load them?
>
> I added an option line in this file specifying my net card settings to
> prevent auto-probing at boot.

Pretty much.  It is the config file for modprobe/kerneld and the manpages
for them may document it further.

--
Scott K. Ellis <storm@gate.net>                 http://www.gate.net/~storm/