Modules and Debian

Sorry for the elementary nature of the question but I am not happy with my
current understanding of module configuration under Debian. I'm not very
good at understanding Linux documentation yet.

/usr/doc/modules == contains a group of stubs that tell me they are
there for backwards compatibility.

/usr/doc/modutils == contains a file that says "These utilities are
intended primarily for use with kernels 2.1.18 and above."

Anyway what I really want to know is the purpose of the files

/etc/init.d/modules (which is a symlink to /etc/init.d/modutils)

/etc/modules

/etc/conf.modules

Here's what I think I understand so far.

/etc/init.d/modutils
====================
says it "loads the appropriate modules in 'boot'". I
suppose this means /etc/init.d/boot which seems to load modules in
/etc/init.d/modutils.  Which one is doing what?  I think this couple of
files are for the loading of modules needed before kerneld? Like modules
to mount file-systems in fstab ?

/etc/modules
============
I like this one. Nice and uncomplicated (spot the non-shell programmer)

Contains the comment  # /etc/modules: kernel modules to load at boot time.
(I thought that was what the previously mentioned file did)

I have "auto" commented out in this file so this means: kerneld will load
these modules as I need them?

If I had "auto" uncommented it would mean: kerneld would load them all at
boot time (but not in time for things like file-systems in fstab) ?

/etc/conf.modules
Contains only aliases for modules and options to load them?

I added an option line in this file specifying my net card settings to
prevent auto-probing at boot.

This email was brought to you today by the letter 'm'

--
John Spence <jspence@lynx.net.au>  http://www.lynx.net.au/~jspence