Re: Netscape 4.04.... [Read this Please!]

On Sun, 18 Jan 1998, Sudhakar Chandrasekharan wrote:

> >        I have been following various messages about Netscape 4.04, and it
> >    seems to me that lots of people's NSN4 don't do Java properly, AND,
> >    (Please correct me if i'm wrong), I haven't seen any successfull
> >    reponses to mine or anyone else's messages about fixing this problem.
> >        So! Will anyone who's NSN4 will do Java applets properly please
> >    respond to this, then maybe we can figure out what those of us whose
> >    Java does not work have missed.
> >

> Hi,
>
> I am sorry I have not been following the Netscape Navigator problems
> threads properly.  I have been able to run java applets in Navigator
> 4.04 successfully.  But I installed NN 4.04 by hand under /usr/local.
>
> What problems with java applets have you been having?
>
> Here is my setup -
>
> * Netscape files under /usr/local/netscape/
> * Symbolic link from /usr/local/bin/netscape to
> /usr/local/netscape/netscape
> * Environment variable MOZILLA_HOME set to point to /usr/local/netscape
>
> I suspect that your problem is probably because of MOZILLA_HOME.
>
> S.
> --

I experimented long with Netscape 3.01 and Netscape 4.04, came to
following conclusion:

1. There's a memory problem with Netscape 3.01 and there may or not be one
with Netscape 4.04.

	a.  The memory problem ***may be solved*** with Sud's script for
	Netscape 4.04. or the following:

	#!/bin/bash
	LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/local/lib/netscape
	MOZILLA_HOME=/usr/local/netscape
	export LD_LIBRARY_PATH MOZILLA_HOME
	#ldd /usr/local/netscape/netscape
	/usr/local/netscape/netscape $*

	(I haven't had a bug error since using this script and placing
	netscape by hand. Note I did not use debian, but downloaded the
	tarzip from Netscape.)

	b.  The memory problem is definitely solved with a similar script
	    for Netscape 3.01-3.04 from the blackthorn site.

2.  The java problem for Netscape 3.01-3.04 is never really solved
because java applets are software and some are good and some are poorly
written. I guarantee that some sites will hang or remove Netscape.

3.  Netscape 4.04 handles successfully many more java sites than
Netscape 3.01-3.04 without modification. You take a speed penalty of about
10% though.

4.  Netscape 3.01-3.04 has a really nasty bug.  If you think you're smart
and use the options to disable java and javascript, netscape 3.01-3.04 will
crash your computer (at least mine).

That's my two cents,
ibm