Re: Problems with 80386 and 4 MB of RAM

> Von: Sten Anderson <sten@bergsoe.k-net.dk>
> An: debian-user@lists.debian.org
> Betreff: Re: Problems with 80386 and 4 MB of RAM
> Datum: Sonntag, 18. Januar 1998 00:32
>
> "Fabian Knittel" <fknittel@sparkasse.net> writes:
>

> > boot=/dev/hda3
> > root=/dev/hda3
> > compact
> > install=/boot/boot.b
> > map=/boot/map
> > vga=normal
> > delay=20
> > image=/vmlinuz
> > label=Linux
> > read-only
> >

> A shoot in the dark: Try putting the "root" line after the "image"
> line.

It now looks like this:

--snip--

boot=/dev/hda3
# compact
install=/boot/boot.b
map=/boot/map
vga=normal
delay=20
image=/vmlinuz
root=/dev/hda3
label=Linux
read-only

--snip--

lilo -v then reports:

--snip--

LILO version 19, Copyright 1992-1996 Werner Almesberger

Reading boot sector from /dev/hda3
Merging with /boot/boot.b
Boot image: /vmlinuz
Added Linux *
/boot/boot.0303 exists - no backup copy made.
Writing boot sector.

--snip--

But at bootup I still get the "LI" - message. Nice try ;-)

> The first stage boot loader was able to load the second stage boot
loader,
> but has failed to execute it. This can either be caused by a geometry
> mismatch or by moving /boot/boot.b without running the map installer.

Could this be caused by a geometry mismatch? (I don't know what it
means...)
I don't have ANY problems when booting by floppy (and I'm going too stick
to booting from a floppy, with no problems... :-)

Thanks for your help so far.

- Fabian