Re: Remote X-term

On 16 Jan, Rick Jones wrote:
> I beleive it's "startx -query remotehost" or "startx -- -query
> remotehost" I forget which one.  But the localhost has to be authorized
> to login to the remote in the "/etc/X11/xdm/access" file first.

As far as I know, you can't use startx (or for that matter xinit or xdm)
because it generates a new MIT-MAGIC-COOKIE key on the local host, and
thus will deny access to your X server from any remote clients before
you have a chance to do an "xhost +remotehost".  If you want the remote
XDM to manage your display, you have to start X "bare", like this: "X :0
-query remotehost"... and of course make sure your ~/.xsession file is
set up nicely on the remote host.

--
David Huggins-Daines
bn711@freenet.carleton.ca