Re: Remote X-term

Adalberto da Silva wrote:

> Hello!
>
>         I have access to my university's Sun workstations via ppp connection
> with my a dynamic IP.
>
>         I can contact reach the internal network with ftp or telnet and work at
> prompt mode at every machine I have permission.
>
>         Is this possible to launch a remote x-term and start working with all
> that nice X-Windows frontend at the Sun workstations? Can I log on from
> my home Linux box to the Sun Solaris at office and work exactly as if I
> was on my chair at the university (well, don't consider a dropped phone
> line or that noisy and slow connection...)?

Absoluetely.  If you are running an X server locally you can telnet
over, set DISPLAY=machine:0 in the environment and start any X program
and the display will be put on your local server.

If XDM is running on the remote you can do a direct query to it from
your local machine and login as if on the console.

I beleive it's "startx -query remotehost" or "startx -- -query
remotehost" I forget which one.  But the localhost has to be authorized
to login to the remote in the "/etc/X11/xdm/access" file first.