Re: Remote X-term

Adalberto da Silva hat gesagt: // Adalberto da Silva wrote:

> Hello!
>
> 	I have access to my university's Sun workstations via ppp connection
> with my a dynamic IP.
>
> 	I can contact reach the internal network with ftp or telnet and work at
> prompt mode at every machine I have permission.
>
> 	Is this possible to launch a remote x-term and start working with all
> that nice X-Windows frontend at the Sun workstations? Can I log on from
> my home Linux box to the Sun Solaris at office and work exactly as if I
> was on my chair at the university (well, don't consider a dropped phone
> line or that noisy and slow connection...)?

I just want to add another and secure solution: ssh
If the sun station is running a sshd daemon you could start a remote session
with e.g.:

[linux]$ xterm -title Your_University -e ssh \
	  -l YourUsername sunstation.at.college.edu

In this new xtern you can start every X app and the very smart ssh displays it
on your Linux maschine. Nice test would be:

[sunstation]$ xmessage "I am not here but there"

--
  Yours 	              	<a href="http://www.koeln-online.de/einblick/";>
  Frank Barknecht		Das Koelner Stadt- und Unimagazin