Re: Digest/Newsfeed?

On Sat, Jan 17, 1998 at 01:53:45PM +1300, Tim Thomson wrote:

> I'm currently subscribed to this list, but due to my parents being
> divorced I am only here every other week.
> I use fetchmail to recieve my mail, and have a cron entry to get my mail
> at 10pm and 6am (it's cheaper for international traffic - my e-mail
> service is in the USA). I don't really want to bog down my free email
> service, esp. since I don't look at most of the posts that were sent while
> I'm away, except for replies to my posts or ones that interest me.

> What I was wondering (stupid question!) is, what is a digest? I understand
> that it is a heap of the messages tied together, but how often is it sent?
> Can I set up when they are sent?

Yes, digests concatenate mails sent to it and distribute them once
a day/week/month/whenever a limit is superseeded.  For debian-user I
guess it's distributed daily but I'm not sure at the moment.

> Even better, is there a newsfeed I can set my system up to download the
> posts from, so I can either recieve all messages every night, and when I'm
> here recieve posts whenever I want to, or just point slrn to, so I can
> read them whenever I want.

Many of the debian lists are gated into news articles at fuller.edu.  You
should try to connect to news.fuller.edu or contact clameter@fuller.edu

Regards,

	Joey

   / To-Zeilen in öffentlichen Nachrichten ist FidoNet-Technologie /
 / ... endlich 'mal wieder ein echt gelungener Witz!!!           /
/                                              -- Rainer Scholz /