Re: Why /floppy -- why not /mnt/fd or something?

On Fri, 16 Jan 1998, David Wright wrote:

> On Wed, 14 Jan 1998, Daniel Martin at cush wrote:
>
> > Peter Prohaska <reax@muc.de> writes:
> >
> > > why `/dev/fd*'s are mounted at /floppy.
> > >  When reading fsstnd, you would expect them to be mounted in
> > > /mnt/someting.  Since /floppy is neither one of those un*x shorties nor
> > > used during installation I can't see why it lives on the root.
> >
> > The floppy drive not used during installation?  Depends on how you
> > install.
>
> I use floppy installation but I don't use /floppy. I assume the floppies
> don't actually get mounted during installation, so you have to type /dev/fd0.

As there is a directory called "/var/lib/dpkg/methods/floppy" I anticipate
the floppies to be mounted during install process.

> But I do like /floppy as I don't normally cd there, but I can type /f<tab>
> and that's it. I'm careful to preserve unique first letters for all the
> frequently used top level directories. In fact, only /bin, /boot, /lib and
> /var don't work this way (thanks to lost+found and the kernel link).

But therefore most of them ( at least the important subdirs ) are
privileged to get listed in an enviornment variable ;)

thanks for your comments,
  peter.