RE: Why /floppy -- why not /mnt/fd or something?

On 14-Jan-98 Peter Prohaska wrote:

> Hi all!
>
> Please dont flamme me for that unimportant question.  But I was wondering,
> why `/dev/fd*'s are mounted at /floppy.
>  When reading fsstnd, you would expect them to be mounted in
> /mnt/someting.  Since /floppy is neither one of those un*x shorties nor
> used during installation I can't see why it lives on the root.
>
> just interrested,
>   peter.

It's whatever suits your taste. I have directories /A: /C: and /D: for mounting
msdos floppy & partitions on: helps the DOSsers to feels at home! (and yes, the
colon is part of the name). Put entries in /etc/fstab, a floppy in the drive,
and people can learn to "mount /A:" very easily.

Cheers,
Ted.

E-Mail: Ted Harding <Ted.Harding@nessie.mcc.ac.uk>
Date: 15-Jan-98                                       Time: 02:33:18