Re: divide the list in beginners and advanced

Remco Blaakmeer wrote:

> On Thu, 15 Jan 1998, John Spence wrote:
>
> > > I like the list the way it is aswell! :)

Sometimes I do and sometimes not.

I'm sure it is possible to parse the subject line at the list server or
the client end for keywords like "config" or "compile" etc. and forward
them to either an advanced list/mailbox or basic list/mailbox.  Ask that
users put the appropriate keyword in the subject and return a message
with keywords if there isn't a recognisable keyword in the subject.

Then ppl could subscribe to one or both lists and only the appropriate
messages will go to the specific list, or as close as possible.

I have been on this list for 2 years or so now and noticed that this
subject comes up like once a month.  The answer that most other
long-time list subscribers seem to give is that the more experienced
users would drop the basic list and leave a bunch of newbies answering
eachothers questions.  I don't think so.

Some of the guru's enjoy helping others.  The ones that don't are most
likely not subscribed to this list anyway.  Some don't consider
themselves that experienced and will remain subscribed to basic out of
modesty, even though they are more than experienced enough to help the
beginners.

So, I think the best way to split the list (if it happens) is to have a
single address to send to with 2 (or more basic/interm/advanced etc.)
outgoing lists from the list server after parsing the subject line.
There would be no more email than there is now since the server would
parse the email and newbies could subscribe to all the lists if they
want to get the scoop on more advanced topics.

Additionally, MAYBE! the server could watch for the same subject from
the same user x times and upgrade the message to the next evel since it
doesn't seem to be answered in the current level.  This is probably too
much trouble to accomplish acurately for anybody to want to fool with,
but it's a thought.

> > Yes, I do to.
> > I do think that a lot of general Linux questions that aren't particularly
> > Debian specific are posted here but that is only because in my opinion,
> > the quality of the answers provided is higher than can be found in
> > newsgroups.
>
> Yes, the Debian community is very fortunate to have such high-quality
> mailing lists.

I agree 100%.  I've been on the internet for about 4 years, I guess, and
I think this is absolutely the best bunch of folks on the internet.
There's some cock-fighting, posturing, bitching and flaming from some of
us at times, but this list is still the best there is.

Have a good one.