Re: xinetd not starting -- where is rpc.portmap?

On Tue, Jan 13, 1998 at 01:17:27PM -0500, debian mail recipient wrote:

> I've had a problem telnet-ing to my machine recently, and the reason is
> because xinetd is not starting.  This is because the startup script (S20xinetd)
> checks for a file called "/usr/sbin/rpc.portmap" and, as it is not on my system,
> causes the startup script to exit:
>
> --- CONTENTS (PARTIAL) OF "bo/Contents-i386" ---
>
> usr/sbin/rmt                                                 utils/cpio

Thanks for the partial include - I have a feeling that it a *pretty large*
file :-)

If you have a look at the startup script, you will see that it is a symlink
to /etc/init.d/xinetd ?

Anyway:

[2]wyvern:~$ dpkg -S rpc.portmap
dpkg: *rpc.portmap* not found.
You have mail in /var/spool/mail/bridgett
You have mail in /home/bridgett/mail/kernel
You have new mail in /home/bridgett/mail/Debian/mentor
You have mail in /home/bridgett/mail/Debian/devel
You have mail in /home/bridgett/mail/Debian/user
You have mail in /home/bridgett/mail/Debian/bugs
[2]wyvern:~$ dpkg -S portmap
netbase: /usr/sbin/portmap
netbase: /usr/man/man8/portmap.8.gz
netbase: /usr/doc/netbase/portmapper.txt.gz

So it looks like it has changed it's name to portmap. Is this the latest
xinetd package you have - if so then it looks like a bug report may be needed!

Adrian

email: adrian.bridgett@poboxes.com       | Debian Linux - www.debian.org
http://www.poboxes.com/adrian.bridgett   | Because bloated, unstable
PGP key available on public key servers  | operating systems are from MS