Re: Updates from non-debian sites? Release numbers..

   1) I often see that the latest and greatest version of some package (e.g.
   XFree86) should always be used, and to get it from that particular home site.

   Is this compatible with running Debian; or must/should one wait till there
   is a Debian package with that version of the particular program.

You can go either way.  In my case, I usually wait, unless the new
version has features that absolutely can't wait.  If you don't wait,
you might have trouble installing the non-Debianized program because
of the changes that the Debian maintainer made.  But if you install
such updated packages to the /usr/local hierarchy, it's usually easy
to fix any problems you have.

   2) How does one correllate release and version numbers; e.g. Debian 1.3.1
   is kernel 2.0.30, but ther is also newer kernel source around (The linux
   Router package is Debian 2.0.32).

Debian versions and kernel versions don't correlate in any useful way.
You can run any kernel 2.0.x through 2.1.x with Debian 1.3.1.

   Is the source code at the Debian site newer than the binary releases there?

No.

   I am not clear on the update process and compatibility. I just got a CDROM
   with 1.1.3, is it old already!  :-)

1.3.1, you mean?