Updates from non-debian sites? Release numbers..

1) I often see that the latest and greatest version of some package (e.g.
XFree86) should always be used, and to get it from that particular home site.

Is this compatible with running Debian; or must/should one wait till there
is a Debian package with that version of the particular program.

2) How does one correllate release and version numbers; e.g. Debian 1.3.1
is kernel 2.0.30, but ther is also newer kernel source around (The linux
Router package is Debian 2.0.32).

Is the source code at the Debian site newer than the binary releases there?

I am not clear on the update process and compatibility. I just got a CDROM
with 1.1.3, is it old already!  :-)

Dr. Gregory Guthrie
guthrie@mum.edu         (515)472-1125    Fax: -1103
Computer Science Department
       College of Science and Technology
       Maharishi University of Management
      (Maharishi International University 1971-1995)