Re: XINETD don't start

Guido Bozzetto wrote:

> I've installed the xinetd package but at the boot time don't start.

...skip...

> with the same problem, xinetd starts if run then manualy from the
> prompt but don't start automaticaly at boot. The problem is on the
> startup script /etc/init.d/xinetd :
>
> #!/bin/sh
> #
> # Start networking daemons. (with xinetd)
>
> test -f /usr/sbin/rpc.portmap || exit 0
> test -f /usr/sbin/xinetd || exit 0
>
> case "$1" in
>   start)
>
> but the /usr/sbin/rpc.portmap don't exist in the machines !!!
> Where I can get them ? There are other solutions ?

I had this problem this week too...and solution is very easy:
In debian linux rpc.portmap is called only portmap, so you can edit
/etc/init.d/xinetd script and change rpc.portmap to portmap
or (i use this and its wokiing good) you can make link
/usr/sbin/rpc.portmap -> /usr/sbin/portmap

        peter
begin:          vcard
fn:             Peter Bodnar
n:              Bodnar;Peter
org:            TTC Telecom s.r.o.
adr:            TTC Telecom s.r.o.;;B.Nemcovej 32;Kosice;;040 01;Slovakia
email;internet: Peter.Bodnar@ttc-telecom.sk
title:          Network designer
tel;work:       + 421 95 633 28 12-3
tel;fax:        + 421 95 633 27 49