Re: Debian and the MANPATH variable

> Hi,
>
> I've solved quite all the problems I had with my server/clients running
> Debian:-)
> I now have a little trouble with the MANPATH environment variable...

[ ... snip ... ]

> The only problem that remain is that I _don't_ want to include the
> servers' man directories in the client's /etc/manpath.config. I first
> thought that if I set up the MANPATH variable to the servers' man dirs
> it would work (and in fact in does), but when I do that I cannot access
> the client's manpages -those defined in /etc/manpath.config- anymore.

If the MANPATH variable is used, it is the only list of paths
searched.  By default it has no value.  To determine the default
manpath, you can use the manpath command before MANPATH has a value.
You simply include the default directories in your MANPATH variable
using

export MANPATH=$(manpath 2>/dev/null):/mydir1/man:/mydir2/man

This is for bash.  Other shells are left as an exercise to the reader ;)

Eric Meijer

--
 E.L. Meijer (tgakem@chem.tue.nl)          | tel. office +31 40 2472189
 Eindhoven Univ. of Technology             | tel. lab.   +31 40 2475032