XINETD don't start

I've installed the xinetd package but at the boot time don't start.
I've 2 machines :

1) Debian 1.3.1.r6 with:
# dpkg -l xinetd
||/ Name            Version        Description
+++-===============-==============-============================================
ii  xinetd          2.1.7-3        xinetd - replacement for inetd with
many enh

2) Debian hamm with:
# dpkg -l xinetd
+++-===============-==============-============================================
ii  xinetd          2.1.7-3        xinetd - replacement for inetd with
many enh

with the same problem, xinetd starts if run then manualy from the
prompt but don't start automaticaly at boot. The problem is on the
startup script /etc/init.d/xinetd :

#!/bin/sh
#
# Start networking daemons. (with xinetd)

test -f /usr/sbin/rpc.portmap || exit 0
test -f /usr/sbin/xinetd || exit 0

case "$1" in
  start)

but the /usr/sbin/rpc.portmap don't exist in the machines !!!
Where I can get them ? There are other solutions ?

In general, there is a method to know in which package is a
specific program ?

                                Thanks for attention, Guido.
--