a count-down timer?

This may be a leading candidate in the "dumbest question ever asked on
debian-user" contest but does anyone know of a program in some package
that provides a count-down timer?  That is, I want to set a time of 5
minutes and start the timer then have it pop up a window or ring the
bell or do something to alert me when the five minutes is up.  There
are many programs such as rclock that can alert me at a specific time
on a specific day but I want to be able to say "five minutes from now"
without a lot of hassle.

Emacs-based solutions are welcome as are more elegant versions of
 sleep 5m; echo "^G"