Re: "Networking" Windows 95 And Debain

On Sun, 4 Jan 1998, Carl Nasal wrote:

> Hi everyone,

Hi Carl!

> I have a 166 Pentium Monorail (a stupid computer with the screen and CPU
> all in one--yeah, I know, I'm an idiot) running Windows 95 and a 486

Hey, Apple has built such machines for years. And everyone must say those
old Apple "shoe boxes" look cool.

> Tandy running Debian--just installed.  I only have one phone line that I
> can use for my 'Net connection and I would like to be able to hook the
> computer together via a dull modem cable/serial cable (my idea) so that
> one could use the other's 'Net connection.  (I would buy a card to hook
> up a small network, but my stupid Monorail has no expansion slots.)
>
> I'd like to have the connection to the Internet be from my Windows 95
> machine--mainly because I'm still having problems connecting to the
> Internet from my Debian machine, but that should be fixed soon...with a
> few books read.
>
> Oh, BTW, the computers are basically side by side.  I'll say within 2
> feet apart so a simple wire can fit between them.
>
> Again, thanks for all of your help!!!
>
> Carl Nasal
> ZZWebMaster

I don't know, if an IP connection with Win95 could be "routed" to another
computer. So I think, that the other way (to make the connection with the
Debian box) was the better one. But in both cases you just need a
NULL-modem cable, which you could buy in every computer store. For more
performance, you could try a parallel link cable to (if you have a
parallel printer port free). Sometimes these parallel cables are called
LapLink (TM) cables. The connections over these cables are faster because
the transmit 8 (sometimes only 4) bits at once.

Bye

Daniel Gross