Re: WordProcessor + SoundCard + ZIP & PRINTING

On Tue, Dec 30, 1997 at 07:48:57AM +0100, Àlex Maneu wrote:

[snip]

> And.... another question! I use a "Iomega Zip 100MB
> parallel port" drive. I can use it with fstab, but
> I cannot print having this drive connected to the parallel
> port. I've heard that there's a patch or something
> that you can use the printer and the Zip. I know I
> can't use them at the same time, but it doesn't matter,
> I wanna use the printer... snip...

There are two solutions (I havn't tried them - just read about them):

a) upgrade to the latest kernels (2.1.??) and use parport which can share
   the parallel port. In fact you may be able to patch the 2.0 kernels - have a
   look on the Linux Zip drive site.

b) compile the printer driver as a module (lp.o) and compile the zip driver
as a module. If you want to print, do "modprobe lp.o". Then if you want to
use the zip drive, do "rmmod lp.o" "modprobe scsi.o"?

HTH

Adrian

email: adrian.bridgett@poboxes.com       | Debian Linux - www.debian.org
http://www.poboxes.com/adrian.bridgett   | Because bloated, unstable
PGP key available on public key servers  | operating systems are from MS