Internet Access With Debian

First, I'd just like to say that I am *very* new to Linux.  I have web
accounts on to *nix systems, but that won't help me until I get
everything set up.  :)

My current position:  I have the base Debian Linux system installed
(with almost no problems).  I have downloaded a few packages off of this
computer (a Windows 95 system), saved them to disk, moved them to my
Linux machine, mounted the disk, got the package to my Linux machine,
and got it set up.  Again, I've had no problems with installations--my
problem is that I need more knowledge about this!  <Smile>

My current problem:  I want to install a package so I can connect to the
'Net (so I can download the packages right on to the Linux machine).  I
tried DialD, but (1) I don't want it to be dial-on-deman--I just want to
type something and have it connect, and (2) after following the
directions and typing "diald up" [I hope that what I'm SUPPOSED to
type], it dialed to my ISP and connected by when I went to dSelect to
download files from FTP, it acted like I had no connection to the
Internet.  I can imagine this could be for many reasons, all of which
would be my fault.  ;)

Basic Question:  How can I get Internet Access on my new Debian Linux
machine so I can download packages via FTP right to my Linux machine?

I'd like to thank you in advance for your time!  Please forgive me for
asking such a trivial question, but I've been up all night literally
[half of it trying to see how to use my 3.5" floppy disk drive--found
that out--and the other half trying to find out how to get Internet
access].

If you have any questions, feel free to e-mail me privately.  Again,
thank you very much for your time *and* patience!

Thanks,
Carl Nasal
ZZWebMaster

|                    "Everyone started somewhere!"                    |