Re: x windows

On Sat, 1 Mar 1997, Richard Morin wrote:

> On Sat, 1 Mar 1997 butch@maestro.com wrote:
>
> > well i got 1.2.2 installed and i was wondering about x
> > windows, could anyone tell me how much disk space i will
> > need to run this. i have an old 386 with 4m ran and 20mb
> > of swap space.
>
> less than say 300, 400 is better and of course, (if your budget
> allows)700 or more would probably do a single user machine for some time.

I have a 386 too, running with about 250 MB of hard disk.  I think 250 is
fine, if you don't want to use every single program.  I have netscape, all
the common stuff you might want for internet, gcc, the basics, but nothing
flashy like wine. And I have about 50 megs free.  So it depends on what
you want to do.  Avoid big stuff like emacs when possible.

I think the memory is more important.  4MB runs fvwm and rxvt fine, but
don't even think about running netscape.  The extra 4MB will only cost you
about $30 probably and will make a huge difference.  Of course, I only run
a mono server - even the vga16 server is extremely slow on my machine (you
can see it redraw).  I think that might depend more on your video card
than anything else though.
Havoc Pennington