Re: x windows

> > well i got 1.2.2 installed and i was wondering about x
> > windows, could anyone tell me how much disk space i will
> > need to run this. i have an old 386 with 4m ran and 20mb
> > of swap space.

> am quite impressed with its abilities.  I don't think I'd try xwin with
> less than say 300, 400 is better and of course, (if your budget
> allows)700 or more would probably do a single user machine for some time.

I disagree.  At home I've an old 386-40 which ran X, netscape, PPP, xv
and almost nothing else in 40 megs of drive space.  It does, however,
have 8 megs of ram and an S3 accelerated card, which makes X almost
bearable.  While Linux will run X with only 4 megs of ram, you probably
won't be able to do much except for wait for it to swap.  I'd really
recomend at least 8 megs of ram.

--
				- John Larkin
				- jlarkin@hmc.edu