Re: x windows

On Sat, 1 Mar 1997 butch@maestro.com wrote:

> Date: Sat, 1 Mar 97 13:26:20 PST
> From: butch@maestro.com
> To: debian-user@lists.debian.org
> Subject: x windows
>
> Hello,
>
> well i got 1.2.2 installed and i was wondering about x
> windows, could anyone tell me how much disk space i will
> need to run this. i have an old 386 with 4m ran and 20mb
> of swap space.
>
> looking forward to hearing from you.
>
> allan

Hi Allen, Well, I just went through a complete intall because I only had
about 200Megs for a primary partition, then I added another 50Megs in
desperation and hung the /home off of it. It just wasn't enough, I was
running near 90-97% full on my / partition.  Not good I've learned for
file fragmentation. Now, I've compressed that damn
Windoze stuff, and I have a comfy 450Meg with x windows, and all of the
packages I've been dying to try.  I've even tried wine with xwindows and
am quite impressed with its abilities.  I don't think I'd try xwin with
less than say 300, 400 is better and of course, (if your budget
allows)700 or more would probably do a single user machine for some time.

Hope this helps.
Rich M
qnc496@durhamnews.net