RE: load now pegs at 1

You have not given a sufficient amount of information to diagnose the problem.
What process is causing the high load.  I suspect that it is syslogd.  If this
is the case, you probably have some directories specified in /etc/syslog.conf
that do not exist on your machine.  Comment out the lines in /etc/syslog.conf
and reboot (although there must be a more gentle way to restart syslogd).
Things should then work OK.  Of course, if syslogd is not the cause of the high
load, then all bets are off.

Paul

On 20-Feb-97 Richard Morin wrote:
>>Hi folks, little anomyly that I'd like to share.  I had a few probs with
>dpkg, and bash, which are now take care of thanks to the list. :-)  Only
>things is now I notice a load which doesn't drop below 1, even when I am
>not doing anything.  This is a single user machine p100 with 32megs of
>ram, and 16M of swap(I know should be 64...)
>
>Should I be looking for any other problems that I might not be aware of?
>
>Rich M
>qnc496@durhamnews.net
>
>--

Paul Rightley                     DX-3 Hydrodynamics, MS P940
Los Alamos National Laboratory    Los Alamos, NM 87545
Phone: (505)667-0460              Fax: (505)665-3359
Email: Paul Rightley <pright@lanl.gov>