Re: libc6-2.0.5c -> 2.0.6 and a dead system

On Wed, 31 Dec 1997, grin wrote:

> Hello,
>
> Seems nobody met this on the list, perhaps it was my fault. Got
> libc6-2.0.6 and I tried to upgrade from 2.0.5c. dpkg unpacked it, and
> while setting up I got a very ugly error from ld.so with FULL CAPS and
> mumbling some assertion error. From that point the system was without dyna
> libraries so rendered completely useless, even a cp or ls triggered the
> error. (seems ldconfig wasn't able to run at least)
>
> I had to save the libc6-2.0.5c package's content from a machine and copy
> back to /lib....
>
> Then tried again, with the same results.
>
> Where's my fault? Was it?

The problem is known and is fixed in libc6_2.0.6-2.  It was a problem with
/etc/ld.so.preload handling, removing or renaming that file is a temporary
workaround (it was probably created because you have libnfslock installed)

--
Scott K. Ellis <storm@gate.net>                 http://www.gate.net/~storm/