Re: Telnet translation modes...

On Mon, 29 Dec 1997, Jason and Heather wrote:

> I'm not sure if this is a Linux problem, or common to telnet in
> general. I haven't run into it until installing Debian though, so
> here it is:
>
> Telnet has two modes, linemode, and charactermode. It defaults to
> linemode if the other side will handle it. This cooks some characters
> and does some extra signalling. It appears that in this mode, hitting
> the Return key sends a ^M. That's normally not a problem, but I've
> found that some programs (mutt, and trn in the article selector)
> don't recognize this key, preferring ^J instead.

I do not know about your specific problem -- mutt and trn, but here
is what I do on my providers system.

Copy /etc/terminfo/l/linux (of your machine) to $HOME/.terminfo
(on the machine your are telneting to).

then in .bashrc
export TERMINFO=$HOME/.terminfo
export TERM=linux

*   For God so loved the world that He gave his only begotten Son,  *
*   that whoever believes in Him should not perish...    John 3:16  *
* W. Paul Mills          *     Topeka, Kansas, U.S.A.               *
* wpmills@midusa.net     *     http://homepage.midusa.net/~wpmills/ *
* wpmills@sound.net      *     http://www.sound.net/~wpmills/       *
* Bill, I was there several years ago, why would I want to go back? *