Re: route add -net 127.0.0.0

On 31 Dec 1997, Eloy A. Paris wrote:

> does anyone know why on the 2.1.x kernels the command
>
> route add -net 127.0.0.0
>
> gives the error "SIOCADDRT: Invalid argument" and no route to the
> 127.0.0.0 network is added?
>
> I remember I saw something regarding this somewhere but can't remember
> what it was or where I saw it...

In the 2.1.x kernels, the network code automagically adds standard routes
when you bring up a network interface, so neither of
  route add -net 127.0.0.0
  route add -net ${NETWORK}
are necessary.  They don't really cause any problem other than the error
message, but can be safely left out.  You still need to add the default
route however.

--
Scott K. Ellis <storm@gate.net>                 http://www.gate.net/~storm/