activate VFS for kernel with module support - how ?

Hi,

I compiled a new kernel with module-support. It tries to boot and
sais: "kernel panic VFS: unable to mount fs"

Seems logical. I didn't activate the VFS-module.  lsmod doesn't give it
in the list neither. I must load something.o with insmod. But where
can I find that something ? Should it be done manually once or do I
have to put it in some config file ? (/etc/conf.modules ? what does
it do ?)

Regards,
Marc
Ministry of Agriculture - Belgium/Brussels