Stopping retries

Hi,

I've been trying to copy files off a dying hard drive, using my Linux
system.

I mount the drive using "mount /dev/hdb1 /mnt"
If I do something that causes an error, I get lots of lines of:

hdb: read_intr: status=0x59 { DriveReady SeekComplete DataRequest Error }
hdb: read_intr: error=0x40 { UncorrectableError }, CHS=496/15/2,
sector=413401
end_request: I/O error, dev 03:41, sector 413401

This is what you would expect I guess, as the drive is almost dead ( I can
still get lots of files off though, seems to be an intermitent problem).

What I would like to know is, can I set something that limits the number
of retries, and can I limit the terminal it writes to ( if I swap to
another terminal, it writes all the errors to that.
I accidentally typed "df" which caused many errors. I left it about 5-10
mins, thinking it might work time out, but alas, it was still going when I
came back. I reset the system, which took about 15 mins to halt, as it
kept coming up with errors.

Also, when I plugged the hard drive in, I used the power cable from a
floppy drive, I tried mounting the floppy without realising it wasn't
plugged in, and I got this:
floppy1: perpendicular mode not supported by this FDC.
It did this for about five mins, again, on whatever terminal I was on.
Can't the kernel work out that I won't be changing the FDC while the
system is on, and give up sooner???

Would you buy a car with the hood welded shut?
http://www.debian.org