Re: UPS

On Thu, 25 Dec 1997, David Stern wrote:

> Is a UPS good protection or is it "fluff"?

It's well worth it. My UPS has saved my system at least four times in the
past year.

> Are there any Linux UPS resources out there other than the HOWTO ? I'd
> like to find out which models have "intelligent" UPS features working
> with Linux, and which models ship with prefabricated RS-232 cables for
> Linux.

I recommend Best Power's products (I use their "intelligent" Fortress model
on my single-user sytem), see a recent copy of the UPS HOWTO. They are a
little more expensive than, say, APC, but my impression is that the hardware
is superior; better yet, they openly support GNU/Linux, and include the
source to the accompanying software (which is easy to install). And a cable
is included.

Michael Stutz  .  http://dsl.org/m/  .  copyright disclaimer etc
stutz@dsl.org  :  finger for pgp     :  http://dsl.org/copyleft/