Re: HELP: Permission problem in /home with new install

On Mon, 22 Dec 1997, Albert Hurd wrote:

> I am a wet-behind the ears newbe who has just installed Debian 1.3.1.
> /home did not have a subdir /ahurd (my user name) even tho I am listed
> with that home dir in passwd file.

 Sounds like something went a bit wrong with the install. Hopefully this
is your only problem...

> I tried mkdir ahurd in /home and got "cannot make directory ahurd:
> readonly filesystem.

 Take a look in your /etc/fstab file. It lists the filesystem, partition,
and mount options. Look for an "ro" in the line that lists /home. This
mounts the filesystem read-only. For example, the /home line in my fstab
looks like:

/dev/hdb2               /home        ext2    defaults         0       2

 If there's an "ro" in your "options" field, get rid of it. For example,
if it looks like:

/dev/hdb2               /home        ext2    ro,defaults      0       2

 Make it look like:

/dev/hdb2               /home        ext2    defaults         0       2

 Again, hopefully this will sort things out. Then you can make a home
directroy and log in as something besides root.

 Sincerely,

 Raymond Ingles          (248) 377-7735          ray.ingles@fanucrobotics.com

 They said there'd be snow at Christmas; They said there'd be peace on Earth.
    Halelujah Noel, be it Heaven or Hell; The Christmas we get we deserve.
                  -ELP, "I Believe in Father Christmas"