HELP: Permission problem in /home with new install

I am a wet-behind the ears newbe who has just installed Debian 1.3.1. /home
did not have
a subdir /ahurd (my user name) even tho I am listed with that home dir in
passwd file.
I tried mkdir ahurd in /home and got "cannot make directory ahurd: readonly
filesystem.
An ls -l indeed showed home as readonly. I then tried chmod u+rw home and
it failed with
same message: Readonly filesystem, even when I try it as root. /home is the
only directory
except proc marked readonly. What do I do now. Help would be much
appreciated.

Albert Hurd