Is Perl 5.004.04-3 Package Routine Broken? WAS(Re: Perl 5.004.04-2 causes core dumps...)

Martin Bialasinski wrote:

> > BTW, the version of PERL I'm trying to install is 5.004.04-2.
> >
> There is a perl 5.004.04-3 at
> ftp://llug.sep.bnl.gov/pub/debian/Incoming/DONE/
>
> Maybe it will solve your problems.

New problem.

When I attempt to install the Perl 5.004.04-3 file, it breaks at the
post-installation phase.
As such, other updates that require Perl will not configure themselves.

I have even fetched the file manually and used dpkg (with most all of
the debugging options) and still no luck.  I can run the Perl post
install script by hand with "configure" and it runs just fine, but for
some reason dpkg and dselect both tell me that it can't configure it
because the post install script returned error "123".

In the interrim I have obtained the older Bo release of Perl and have
installed that instead.  Is this a problem with only my machine, or has
anyone else experienced this too?