RE: XDM seem to hang until I reboot.

Jay,

I am a little confused.  If you are running Exceed from an NT box and
 connecting to debian, then exceed is the xserver.  You don't need an
xserver on the debian box (or even fonts, for that matter).

If you are also using the window manager on debian, then you have to be
using single window mode in exceed.

I use exceed but I let nt be the window manager.  It's a lot simpler and
your mouse clicks and movements don't have to go over the network.

How about a little more detail on the setup...

jim