package update listing from dpkg ?

Hello,

I checked the dpkg man page and the dpkg --help listing but could
not find an answer:

Is there an option or set of flags that can be passed to dpkg in
order for it to provide a listing of installed packages that have
been updated?  I'm assuming there must be since dselect does this
and it's simply a wrapper for dpkg, right?

I would like to be able to just get the latest Packages.gz file and
check for updates.  I'm looking for a list of updated installed
packages, not available (uninstalled) ones.

Thanks.

--ken

                              __
  Ken Lauffenburger          / /                    __  __
  ken@efficient.com         / /  D e b i a n  G N U \ \/ /
                       ________http://www.debian.org________