Re: package update listing from dpkg ?

On Tue, Dec 09, 1997 at 10:54:02AM -0600, Ken Lauffenburger wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I checked the dpkg man page and the dpkg --help listing but could
> not find an answer:
>
> Is there an option or set of flags that can be passed to dpkg in
> order for it to provide a listing of installed packages that have
> been updated?  I'm assuming there must be since dselect does this
> and it's simply a wrapper for dpkg, right?
>
> I would like to be able to just get the latest Packages.gz file and
> check for updates.  I'm looking for a list of updated installed
> packages, not available (uninstalled) ones.

Sort of, install the "dpkg-mountable" package, and then do this:
/usr/lib/dpkg/methods/mountable/updated-packages <status> <avail>

where <status> and <avail> are the status and available files - normally
/var/lib/dpkg/status
/var/lib/dpkg/available

This returns a list of packages that you might want to go and FTP - very
useful!

Adrian

email: adrian.bridgett@poboxes.com       | Debian Linux - www.debian.org
http://www.poboxes.com/adrian.bridgett   | Because bloated, unstable
PGP key available on public key servers  | operating systems are from MS