Re: ip-up script in PPP package with 'persist' option

On 8 Dec 1997, Ben Gertzfield wrote:

> The problem is, we don't know where to call this script from :) I
> tried putting it in the /etc/ppp/ip-up script, which ostensibly is
> called whenever ppp brings its connection up, but evidently is not
> called with the persist option.

Well, are you sure that it isn't being called?  On my machine, I just
checked this (by adding in the persist option and then fiddling with my
modem's power cord to get it to drop the connection a few times and force
pppd to redial), and it appears that /etc/ppp/ip-up is indeed getting
called again when ppp connectivity is re-established.  For what it's
worth, my ppp is version 2.2.0f-23.  (straight from my 1.3.1 CD)

Could you put something into /etc/ppp/ip-up that looks like:
echo "`date` == $4" >> /tmp/ipaddrs

That way, each time /etc/ppp/ip-up is run, it'll add a line to
/tmp/ipaddrs, which you can then look at to see if ip-up is indeed getting
run.  I'd put this line near the top of the /etc/ppp/ip-up file, right
after the PATH statement.