Re: Partitioning (fwd)

I'm real confused in reading these messages.  Here is my fdisk output:
bash# fdisk
Using /dev/hda as default device!

Command (m for help): p

Disk /dev/hda: 64 heads, 63 sectors, 1023 cylinders
Units = cylinders of 4032 * 512 bytes

   Device Boot   Begin    Start      End   Blocks   Id  System
/dev/hda1   *        1        1      260   524128+   6  DOS 16-bit >=32M
/dev/hda2          261      261     1023  1538208    5  Extended
/dev/hda3          729      729      748    40320   83  Linux native
/dev/hda4          749      749      768    40320   82  Linux swap
/dev/hda5          261      261      387   256000+   6  DOS 16-bit >=32M
/dev/hda6          388      388      728   687424+   6  DOS 16-bit >=32M
/dev/hda7          769      769      870   205600+  83  Linux native
/dev/hda8          871      871      946   153184+  83  Linux native
/dev/hda9          947      947     1023   155200+  83  Linux native

Note partion 2 is an extended partion and I've got 7 logical partitions
in it.  Only one primary partition.  At home I've got about 3 primary
partitions and 6 logical on a single disk.

The only thing I can recall being important is "use dos fdisk to generate dos
partitions and Linux fdisk to generate Linux partitions".  I saw that
suggestion somewhere and it seems to be accurate.

I've never had a problem running Linux on a combination of logical and
primary partitions and I've had Linux coexisting with DOS since 0.12.

The only problem I've ever had was with DRDOS 6 when it used to scramble
the partition table and reorder it.  That would cause problems like moving
your /dev/hda3 partition to /dev/hda4 or something similar.  It was easy
to fix by editing the /etc/fstab file, however, but it did give me a bit
of a sinking feeling until I figured it out.  I stopped using DRDOS fdisk
after that.

Jim.

---------  Received message begins Here  ---------