Re: fetch/mail and xconsole

On Mon, Dec 08, 1997 at 09:47:03AM +0000, Brian Skreeg wrote:

> evenin,
>
> Xconsole is started by xdm before login. It appears in the bottom
> left corner.
>
> 1. How do I change the resources for this? I`ve altered personal resources,
> xdm`s and even app-defaults. Can`t get the bugger to shift :)

The way I do it now is modify the xconsole invocation line in the file
/etc/X11/xdm/Xsetup_0 (e.g. using -fn, -geometry, etc. parameters).  But
it seems like I was able to change some of the xconsole and xlogin
resources at one time by modifying the /etc/X11/xdm/Xresources_0 file.

> 2. How do I direct program output to appear in this window? Before I
> discovered xconsole I just used an Xterm to display whatever was sent
> to /dev/console by just launching progs like...;
>
> fetchmail > >&/dev/console
>
> This doesn`t work with xconsole.

I don't know about this one but you may need to add a configuration
line to your /etc/syslog.conf file.

Good luck,

--ken

                              __
  Ken Lauffenburger          / /                    __  __
  ken@efficient.com         / /  D e b i a n  G N U \ \/ /
                       ________http://www.debian.org________